Wednesday, December 12, 2007

THE RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD

How many little party favors and trinkets do you collect especially around the holidays? They may even be nice but the thought might spring to mind, “Where am I going to put this?”

It was not too long ago that I had this thought. The party favor was not all that bad, but as priests we have rather limited quarters and it was going to be one more thing for which I would need to find a spot. Besides, there was a much nicer one in a box in the trunk room that would be brought out for Christmas.

For some reason it was at that moment that I was yanked back into my childhood and saw the favor with young eyes. As I ran my fingers over it I thought how much I would love having one of these as my very own, not having anything like it. As tawdry as I may think it now, it would have been incredibly special to me at one time. I thought of all those with next to nothing for whom this would be quite a treasure, deeply appreciated and cared for over the years, this thing that I at first thought to throw out.

A vision of all the things that I own then came to mind along with the realization that there are many people who would look at these objects as cheap and worthy only of the trash can. Then a vision occurred in which the best of the best were mine, the finest living space, the best cars, clothes, you name it. But in the end it would be the wrong stuff. In fact, it would only be more stuff. None of it would be missed on the journey to heaven (if one indeed were going to heaven.) The finest the world has to offer will be dust and ashes, something to brush off of yourself as you reach for the only thing of value, the only food in the universe, the only thing worth having.




Which in the end made my trinket both the most valuable object in the world (for you are the richest person if you are satisfied with what you have) and absolutely worthless (if your heart is set on heaven.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely sentiment. I think that's one of the best perks of being Catholic is that no matter what your state in life, you're rich.

Anonymous said...

In the past two years my in laws have passed away. My father-in-law this past April. As executor, my husband and I have experienced the challenge of emptying his childhood home of 50 years. Of course there is sentimentality and things you want to hold onto, but, overwhelmingly we have found ourselves shaking our heads at all the *stuff*. And, of course, vowing we won't repeat this scenario in our own lives. At least that is what our children are praying for!

Father Tim said...

What a beautiful insight! I have mixed emotions about material things. It's strange how we attach "value" to an object, sometimes tied to utility. On the one hand, I have only once regretted throwing something away. On the other hand, I greatly value the little trinkets from my grandparents, and would be very sad to lose them.

Watching my daughter's reaction to the barrage of happy meal toys and other bits of plastic is interesting - an enormous contrast to how I treasured such junk as a kid. Perhaps materialism is being undermined by its own victory.

Oh - and I know this comment is out of character, but I'm too tired to change my Google identity.