Friday, December 14, 2007

MOVE OVER OSCAR

Over a coffee a priest was enumerating his points of disappointment with our new bishop. I was rather blown away for he was quite vitriolic. When he was done I said, “Wow, I rather like our bishop.” He surprised me even further by saying, “Yea, I do too.”

It seems in general man likes to grumble a lot. It’s the old, “You missed a spot” syndrome. It is glossed over that 99.9% of something is great but that one spot sticks out and ruins everything. That’s what news broadcasts are based on. We don’t hear about the hundreds of thousands of kids who went to school today with their homework done, who behaved, and got an A on the spelling test. We hear about the one kid who shot his teacher.

Fr. Crawford who made it a practice to be rather cynical and dry long before his time gave this advice before ordination, “Ten percent of the people will love you no matter what you do. Ten percent of the people will hate you no matter what you do. And the other eighty percent wouldn’t know the difference if there were a trained baboon doing your job.” Though some people will be supportive no matter what, some people will look for the crack in the damn no matter what.

I once had a spiritual director, an Opus Dei priest, who said after I had grumbled about my bishop, “Never speak ill of your bishop.” He was absolute. I don’t know if I am that absolute. Some bishops need to be spoken ill of at least in certain situations. But the vast majority of the Church’s grumbling is simply counter productive. Are we not family? Should we not be as “functional” as possible?

The thing is, the grumbling can bring a community down. The constant tearing down of a pastor, a bishop, or even a pope can only damage us. Look what happened to Saint John of the Cross (notice the saint part) whose community grumbled against him and treated him most sorely. A room full of people each stating one thing that they don’t like about someone up on the chain can leave the whole room with the impression that everyone is in agreement that they do not like him. All of a sudden a bad humor spreads and bad humors are generally hard to put out.



My pastor, my bishop, and yes, even my pope has from time to time done things of which I do not approve. But so what? He has to do something. He simply did not choose my way. Does that make him a bad leader? No. It made him different from me. Is what he did evil? No. Is what he did eternally damaging to the soul? No. So I give the poor guy a break and hope that some day when I am a pastor, the person I displease because a decision had to be made and I did not make it in this person’s favor will cut me a break too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very wise Priest once told me: "be careful of criticizing - it has a way of biting you [in the butt]." We all make mistakes and are entrusted in some way, shape, or form to guide others toward Christ. As I join the Convent, this will be more apparent...and more humbling when mistakes are made. I just pray that I will have the courage and wisdom to stay away from the 'grumblings' of the day and uplift rather than tear down. Lillian Marie

Adrienne said...

Thanks, we all need to hear this.

Anonymous said...

Now the trick is to distinguish between the 10/80/10.

Fr. V said...

LOL!

Anonymous said...

I am one of those who can't ever play poker. If I don't care for someone, I can bite my tongue clean off and duct-tape my typing fingers, but the look of ugh (or arrggghh) will show up on my face. That happened once as a parishioner and I spoke of Fr. Effeminate/NoNoNo/YourThoughtsAreNotWelcomedHere. My mind told me he was nonetheless a holy man, a far better person than myself, but still I looked away from him often. The parishioner said, "He's meditative, isn't he.. like you, JustMe."

What? We're similar? In some good way? Alright, let me look again. :-) (This is way too honest, isn't it?) It did show me one uber-important thing: His eyes were indeed set upon God. I liked him just fine after that-- his easy ways, his caution, his wisdom.. ;-)

It's like what happened to a friend who horrified us one day by publicly yelling at our good priest and deacon, out of his frustration over things not in their control, nor their fault, not their crime. "Where's the accountability??" Well, we saw that he'd found out where, a few months later, when we saw that he'd been made a EMHC along with his wife.

(Carol)

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father: Superb post.