Monday, February 25, 2008

TUESDAY QUOTE OF THE WEEK LIII

Yes, I know that it is Monday, but tomorrow is Catholic Carnival here at Adam's Ale and so Quote Tuesday, a movable feast, has been moved to Monday this week.
FINDING TRUTH WHEREVER IT MAY BE FOUND - "A young mother remarked to me, "I don't want to teach my child any religion. I don't want to influence him; I want him to choose for himself when he grows up." That is a very ordinary example of current argument, which is frequently repeated and yet never really applied. Of course the mother is always influencing the child. Of course the mother might just as well of said, "I hope he will choose his own friends when he grows up; so I won't introduce him to any Aunts or Uncles." G. K. Chesterton.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Here is a little game that Jim sent in. No not that Jim, another Jim. WARNING: MEDIUM ADDICTION ALERT. Call me a Bobbing Bobcat. On second thought, don't.

Habemus Papem sent this link to a cool blog. It states its purpose, "Pope Benedict XVI is coming to America and Australia. The National Catholic Register wants to make sure you don’t miss out.
Tim Drake, our Senior Writer, will provide you with up-to-the-minute reports on news and preparations, and will blog directly from papal events, right here."

Here is another site to keep you informed about the Pope's visit.

I though these were cute. They are a reminder that the Eucharist is not only the source but the summit of our lives. Not only are we inspired to go out and live the Christian life but are to bring our lives back as an offering to God. On the backs of their envelopes the children mark a good deed that they did that week that they especially offer to God.

"I help my dad put out the blow up bed."

"Helping at the Fest party."

"Held a door open for the elderly."

"Cleaning my room. But I still need to finish the big room."

9 comments:

uncle jim said...

where and how is HP these days

Fr. V said...

H P is still around - setting up the trip to see BXVI this summer - preparing a guest blog for Easter AND (this is the important part) has suggested having another get together through Adam's Ale to go see the Vatican exhibit coming to Cleveland. Interested in stopping up again?

Odysseus said...

-I don't want to influence him-

I want him to be able to be evil without my judgement

I want to waste everything i have learned in life and not pass it on

I would rather he be influenced by people who want to abuse him

Oh, and, I'm too lazy to be his parent.

uncle jim said...

dates on Vatican exhibit?

Anonymous said...

Rob, in these times that are even more spiritually dark than Chesterton's, one who sees the glass as half-full might say with genuine gratitude and hope, "At least she brought her child to term." Also, I've seen the other end of the spectrum -- parents who so choked their kids with religion (aka hellfire'n'damnation), the kids ran headlong into sin just to defy it all. Or a wonderful and loving fire chief convert who took a literal board to his 2-yr. old's backside, lest he spare the rod and spoil the child. He said it was just two swats, but it stole my breath with grief for the toddler.

Anonymous said...

Uncle Jim, the exhibit is May 31 through Sept 7.

MJ

Anonymous said...

Uncle Jim, the exhibit is May 31 through Sept 7.

MJ

uncle jim said...

we'll be there sometime during that period almost for certain.

if you put together a group event, let us know dates asap.

be assured that if we're coming thru there for any reason, someone will hear from us.

Fr. V said...

OOOOOOOps,

It WAS MJ who suggested it - not Habemus Papem. Sorry MJ!