Thursday, February 7, 2008

THE INS AND OUTS OF CATHOLIC LIFE

So what seems to be working and what does not?

It was an odd but pleasant occurrence at our masses for Ash Wednesday. There was a preponderance of young men in college to post collage age, unaccompanied, who showed up yesterday. Why? Something about this mass works for them.

What does not seem to work anymore? (I am speaking only from my limited experience. I would like to hear what you think.) Oddly enough, mass intentions do not seem to be carrying over to the younger generations. A mass intention is a mass requested by you to be said for the repose of a loved one’s soul, thanksgiving for a prayer answered such as recovering from a serious illness, or on the occasion of a significant anniversary (such as a 50th wedding anniversary.) It usually requires five to ten dollars depending on the diocese. This money is given directly to the priest as part of his pay. This does not seem to register with younger Catholics.

Devotional confessions do not seem to have wide spread appeal. Confession is used more like a trauma room in a hospital. That is, it may not be used for the constant improvement in the spiritual life but when someone has really messed up, then they come to the confessional. Wonderful things happen then though.

A thing that does seem to work (surprisingly to me) is Eucharistic Devotions. They must, however, be heavily directed. Inviting younger people to sit in the church with our Lord quietly for an hour seems above many people’s comfort zone.

Trusting the Roman Ritual seems to have great appeal. It must be done well (and have a good homilist) but the more we trust the ritual (and trust God) the more attractive the mass seems to become. Though going to a good mass is “In”, weekly attendance does not seem to be “In” across the board.

“In” is redefining and reinstating some of the older traditions of the Church. “Out” is Catholic grade school education (mostly due to cost) but the quality of faith formation in general is vastly improving. Being positive about the pope is “In,” being Okay with liturgical dancers is “Out.” Interestingly so called inclusive language seems to be waning (at least in my corner of the world.) Incense is in for anybody who does not have asthma. “God is love” is out and “God loves you and here’s what you need to do to respond to that love,” is in.

I think being Catholic is becoming more “In” but cafeteriaism is also unfortunately still “In” but losing credibility among serious practitioners. Recognizing venial sin is “Out” but recognizing mortal sin is “In.”

Apparently seminary is “In” as the numbers keep rising (though not nearly enough yet.) The Rosary is making a strong comeback, but Liturgy of the Hours is still the neglected stepchild. Dance is “Out.” Latin is no longer despised, but I don’t know if I am comfortable giving it a firm “In.” Dressing up for mass is still “Out” and Cheerios, books, and Matchbox cars are still “In In In.” Retreat centers are “Out” as are wimpy retreats that are more spiritual emphasis periods rather than anything challenging.

These are my general impressions and granted they are limited in their scope of observance. On a whole I am very encouraged and look forward to developing some of these areas of Catholic life. Some will provide great challenges such as where we will head in the education department and in confessions.

I would be interested (and perhaps others reading this site might also) in your observances. Is this close to the mark where you are? Would add/subtract things from the list? Where are we going?

14 comments:

Adoro said...

I think you're pretty well on, although there may be a few differences here and there. Where I am, we have high school kids coming to Mass or events at the church on their own because their parents refuse to go. We have one girl who knows if she goes to Mass on Sunday, she is hurting her Mother, so some Sundays she stays home although she wants desperately to go to Mass. (I'm not sure of the whole story there.)

From my observation, a lot of the kids are willing to go...but their parents are dropping the ball because they've been completely secularized.

And you're right...many of them can't stand being silent before God, they have to have music and activity. But that is working to draw them in; just look at Steubie and Steubie North! Those kids come back evangelized and head for the seminaries and convents.

There's a couple generations of Catholic adults that have been abandoned by the Church, they are confused, and they don't know what to do or where to go so they don't practice any faith, having judged the world to be a better anchor. And as such, everything in relation to God must be secondary to sleeping in, hunting, and sports.

This generation can't understand why their teens are asking to sing Latin at Mass, why their teens want to be at church, or why their little ones love Jesus so much. And because they don't understand, they don't react, and their non-reaction kills the growing faith of the children they promised to God they would lead to Heaven.

Gen~Gen said...

Although I do not go to mass like I should I certainly enjoy it when I do go. What incourages me is a good Homily {like you do father V.} and I try to dress up a bit like I would for work. I think what keeps people from attending reguarly is daily life and for me the stuggle to understand God's plan.

I do think you are very accurate in your description of what is "in" and "out".

I think many people in my generation {nearly 30} feel very much still "catholic" even if they don't make it to church reguarly.

Just some thoughts from me. Thanks for the great blog. I'm a regular reader!

Anonymous said...

Mass intentions have never been explained to us. I thought it was just for praying for dead people. People get intimidated when they don't know how things are done and they don't want to look stupid or feel awkward. I'm not suggesting this be done, but if there was a box with a form that said fill out this out, write your intention, and stick it in an envelope with 5 bucks, that box would always be stuffed with Mass requests.
I think this is the reason some people stay away from confessionals, not because they don't want to go, but because they forgot how to do the words and the Act of Contrition.

Ashes work with the guys because it's so serious a ritual. I've heard of monks who used to great each other not with good morning but "Recall that thou must die", kinda like what is said with the ashes. I think guys like serious stuff. They're turned off by the touchy feelies and the dance for joy stuff. And I agree. I think the easiest, straightest route to attract the young men to the mass is to fix the music. Currently it seems like the silliest ditties are reserved for the most solomn occasions.

I once read a cheesey line on a paperweight that said "imagine what you would attempt if you knew you could not fail". A good spin on that would be "imagine what you would say from the pulpit if you knew everyone would do it". Tell us to put in Mass intentions (or anything else for that matter), and we'll do it! Happily!

Everything you said in today's blog is my impression too. I agree 100%.

Seriously, I thought Cherrios were a necessary pacifier. Is that rude to do church?

By the way, what is a devotional confession?

Anonymous said...

I think that your observation is accurate. I too thought that a mass intention was reserved for the sick or dead (where is the instruction manual when you need it?).

Anonymous said...

This article, and it's responses so far, has been the highlight of not merely my day, but of years. I can't say just why that is so, except for maybe having seen more pain over the Church than not in my onlineness of years.

But bottomline, it all does indeed reflect where we're at, as Church. Thank you, Fr. V, and others here, for your honesty and accuracy. Just to have an objective collective look at things from wherever we're at individually, is (I see now) very important. Now I don't have to let my solar plexus seize up into my ears whenever a R.E. director hands our student confirmandi the assignment of "marketing Jesus", all while sighing that she has to also fit in this additional module from the Bishop to re-present the Eucharist as the Real Presence!

I won't let it wound me so deeply anymore on behalf of kids, as one of their Confirmation facilitors who has little option thanks to the R.E. director's hurry, to not only alter the Stations' prayer, but to ignore His real Stations a few feet away from our parish hall in favor of the printed out posters of folks (at each "Station") who lived the Gospel like Dorothy Day, Mother Teresa, and Arthur Ashe. Only Christ truly lived the Stations.

I guess we pre/post V2 folks will have to put up with some pain, because indeed, irregardless of their losing out on some things that are important, we DO see kids (anyone 26 and under) -- and new Catholic converts (and RCIA folks still in-journey) -- who come to Mass even if alone. So, praise God. Yep. It's still true -- we look to the Church as mother and teacher. Whether that is shrinking or growing is probably inarguable to a degree anyway. The thing is, the gates of hell shall not prevail, and unto ages of ages, God will always raise up a people to say so and to make sure it is passed on.

Again, thanks for this.

Adrienne said...

You've been tagged.

http://adriennescatholiccorner.blogspot.com/

By the way - good post! We see way too much negativity in the blogosphere. Thank you for being a bright light.

Mary Martha said...

I think your list is very solid.

Personally, I dress up for Mass - but I know it is a lost battle (I have actually gotten snide comments about it).

The one thing about Mass intentions... I have quite literally no idea how to go about doing that. Zero. That was not covered in CCD in the 80s. We were far to busy making felt banners (which are happily - OUT).

My parish puts in the bulletin that the Mass book for teh coming liturgical year is open... but nothing more. I wish that the pastor would write something about how to request a Mass intention and why we should do that.

Anonymous said...

Regarding intentions, prayers for the dead. I know my eldest (24) has told me her 8th grade Catholic school teacher (school not PSR) told the class many times, "we don't believe in purgatory any longer"...obviously I have explained it to her since, as well as her siblings...but imagine my thrill to know this is what was taught. But, as many have said, it shouldn't be surprising since my generation (46) wasn't taught the basics very well either.

Anonymous said...

Following up from Mary Martha's comment about felt posters, I think that liturgical art is taking a more classical turn in general. Vaguely meaningful abstract paintings are being replaced by more detailed and realistic work.

I think, too, at least in our area, people are starting to regret taking statues down and whitewashing the churches.

It's nice to be reminded of the big picture! The gates of hell will not prevail.

Fr. V said...

Cool guys. Thanks for the input thus far!

Sparky devotional confessions are those done on a regular basis (monthly or whatever) not so much because they are absolutely needed (no mortal sins having been committed) but that a more conscious effor can be made in the spritiual life to avoid sin and grow in virtue.

Melody K said...

Mass intentions in our parish are usually booked a couple of months in advance; if one wants a specific date, it is best to reserve it early. The parish secretary in most places will be glad to help you book a Mass for a memorial or special occasion. Missionary priests also say Masses for the dead or other intentions. The stipends are a way to help support the missions, fill out one of the reply cards sent out by missionary orders.

Adrienne said...

Father V - we need some high powered prayer. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I agree with those who say they were never instructed about mass intentions. I am 43 yrs old and I knew masses were said for people, but never know how it happened or how you could schedule the masses.

I just recently learned more about it over the last few years. Now it's mentioned in our bullentin and each family is allowed two masses by a certain date, I think it was the end of November. After that time whatever dates are left are open to any one (no limits).

MaryB

Anonymous said...

In our parish, it is a long wait to even have a Mass said. This is good news - but I doubt that the younger families really understand the value of such. Too many years of poor Catechisis - Too many cafeteria Catholics - too many priests that do not wish to offend anyone - too much competition from feel-good Churches Like multi-culturalism, plurality has taken its toll and it matters not to many, which church they go to.