Thursday, February 7, 2008

BEWEARING!

It has been a while since we have had a quiz and it seemed about time. Name the piece of clothing described in each of the paragraphs. Answers tomorrow.


1. I’ve been around since the fifth century. Originally I was worn by anybody to keep them warm, but remained popular with the clergy because churches were largely unheated. Worldwide I’m most commonly known as a soutane, which translates “beneath”. I have large cuffs on my sleeves in which you might store your notes or program. I am to be worn ankle length. In general I am black though other colors may be added depending on the cleric’s rank. In the U.S. I’m not to be worn off of church property and sadly, you have never seen the pope wear me. What am I?


2. I am the most familiar ecclesial dress of the hierarchy, though I was not officially recognized until 1872. I am worn only by those of episcopal dignity because I am identified with jurisdiction, not the clerical state. I am very similar to the garment above, but I have an elbow length cape attached to me. Incidentally I am worn by the pope. What am I?


3. Believe it or not, I did not take the exact for we accustomed to seeing today until the middle of the 1800s. I was originally a protective band of cloth, which kept my predecessor, which was worn around the neck, from becoming soiled. When my predecessor was abolished, I remained. Was stiffened, and ever since became associated with priesthood. What am I?


4. I’ve been in continual use in the Church for a thousand years. I can be used by the clergy as well as the laity. I am always white or off white and come in varying lengths. I am usually worn by Masters of Ceremonies and interestingly enough, there is an indulgence for priest and seminarians who wear me and say the proper prayers which were never abrogated. What am I?


5. Officially anyway I am to be worn with the cassock. I can be traced back as clothing for the early Roman citizen. Since 1207 I’ve only been white in color. I’ve been jokingly referred to as “liturgical underwear” but I am supposed to cover all of your street clothes or I am not doing my job. Symbolically I represent the purity of the priesthood. What am I?


6. I too can be traced back to the early Roman Empire, but I was used by common workers to protect them from the elements. In the third century it was forbidden for men and women to wear me in sacred spaces, as I became the dress for priests. Over the centuries I could be found in all kinds of shapes and sizes. I come in any of the liturgical colors and must be worn by the priest at mass. I represent the charity of Christ. What am I?


7. I was originally worn by clerics only out of doors to protect them from the elements. Later on I developed liturgical uses outside of the mass such as benediction and was allowed indoors. I used to have a hood, but many designs just render it as fanciful piece of material now. What am I?


8. In the early Christian era, only people of rank and wealth wore me. Later on, perhaps as early as 332, I became the garment used by deacons. I do my best to match the celebrant’s garb in color and make, am open on the sides with wise sleeves. What am I?



9. Originally used as a scarf to keep the neck warm and then later as a sign of the dignity similar to public honors I am the symbol of priestly dignity and jurisdiction as well as service and am to be worn whenever the priest is vested or performing the sacraments. What am I?

5 comments:

knuckledragger said...

I'll venture a guess:

1. Cassock
2. ?
3. Roman Collar
4. Surplice
5. Alb
6. Chasuble
7. Cope
8. ?
9. Stole

Anonymous said...

1. No idea
2. Huh?
3. Roman collar
4. Choir robe - no idea what the formal term is.
5. Alb
6. Chasauble (sp?)
7. Humeral
8. Surplice
9. Stole

Adrienne said...

I think number 2 is a called a simar

Anonymous said...

1. Cassock
2?
3. Amice
4. Surplice
5. Alb
6. Chausible
7. Cope
8.Dalmatic
9.Stole

Anonymous said...

I have to change my answer for #7, I said humeral, but I have to change it to Cope. My mind got jogged last night at Stations of the Cross.