Friday, March 23, 2012

FRIDAY POTPOURRI: CHANGE OF HANDS

This weeks chalice is one that is in my possession at St. Sebastian.  When a class in our diocese is about to be ordained, we are taken to the diocesan archives and are shown a number of chalices that we may use during out time as a priest in the diocese (and we also assume the upkeep.)  When my class went to the archives this was clearly the nicest chalice that was set out.  I did not get it.  My classmate laid hands on it.  But it sat on his bookshelf black as black could be.  I threatened to take it away from him if he did not start taking care of it.

As it turned out I did not have to steal it - he freely handed it over since he was heading to the missions and would not have use for it.  Since then I had it cleaned, fixed, and replated and it is in use mostly on Sundays during ordinary time. 
There is not much by way of symbolism but there is plenty of ornamentation.  Around the bottom is the inscription, "Calicem salutaris accipiam et nomen domini invocabo" which translates, "I will take the chalice of salvation and call upon the name of the Lord"

On the bottom of the chalice there are a couple of inscriptions.  The first is "Made in Germany."  The second reads, "Donated by Mrs. Julia Humza January 1930." 
As you can see there is some enamel inlay and some what I suppose you might call filigree work.  On the inside is a silver bar that covers the long screw that holds the whole chalice together that is supposed to shine through he cut out work.

Which brings us to a very important topic.  Chalices should never, ever be submerged in water.  They are usually made up of at least a couple of parts or many such as the one above.  Water becomes trapped on the inside and the whole thing can rust from the inside out.
The paten is very plain.  Just above the image of me taking the picture you can make out a Greek cross that is on the bottom of the paten.

No comments: