Monday, January 28, 2008

QUOTE TUESDAY XLIX

FINDING TRUTH WHEREVER IT MAY BE FOUND: "On the whole I do not find Christians, outside of the catacombs, sufficiently sensible of the conditions. Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we so blithely invoke? . . . It is madness to wear ladies' hats and velvet hats to church; we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews." from Annie Dillard's "Teach a Stone to Talk" Thanks to BC for that one.
QUOTE II - (In reference to yesterday's post and Rob's comment) "They wish the universe to be fitted into their own petty store of words and pitiful framework of ideas . . . they want it to be explained even to stupid people, in terms that all can understand. They diminish the world to a nutshell." from Jane Rogers' "Promised Land"

IN OTHER NEWS:


Frank sent this link to a video in about a young Christian artist. It is almost too incredible to believe.


C sent this in about a program called "Endow" and wonders if anybody has any information about it. "Founded in 2003, ENDOW (Educating on the Nature and Dignity of Women) is a Catholic, non-profit organization that is dedicated to offering classes and developing study materials based on the teachings of the Catholic Church for women to use in small study groups. The ENDOW program is designed for today's "women in the pew', women who are neither theologians nor philosophers, but are faithful wives, mothers and career women."


This is perhaps not in keeping with the general direction of this blog, but I thought I'd share it with you anyway. Fr. D sent this in. "I haven't laughed so hard in some time. Live TV is a dangerous thing," he said. In a similar vein my cousin sent this link to some videos about flying with the Blue Angels. The first one is interesting. I recommend then skipping to the third one if you watch no more of it.

2 comments:

Odysseus said...

Okay, Fr V, you brought up fecal humor. Time to tell my poop-eating story.

I'm trying to do a lot of things at once. Eat Pringles, watch TV in the dark, and play with my infant son. I'm watching the tube, chewing chips and bouncing him up and down on my lap. As this was in Honduras, he was wearing cloth diapers and he was, unbeknownst to me, beginning to drip. I felt some chips come out of my mouth. I glanced away from the tube and saw, against my white T-shirt, the dark outline of what I assumed to be partially chewed pringles. In quick obedience to the 30-seconed rule, I grabbed them and put them in my mouth.

They weren't pringles and that guy in the video was lucky compared to me.

Anonymous said...

Love watching the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds. My family used to go to Wright Pat every year for the Air Show when my dad made the generators for the F-16s & other fighting aircraft. Loved it! Still do.