Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I WILL TAKE THE CUP OF SAVATION

Have you ever given a thought about the chalice used at mass? Where did it come from? Why this chalice as opposed to another chalice? It is possible that it is just the “parish chalice” that the celebrant of any mass might use. It might also be the priest’s own chalice or one given to him to maintain and use.

This is a picture of a chalice entrusted to my care. It belonged to Fr. Joseph Medin who was ordained in 1924. He was pastor of my home parish of Sacred Heart during the 1930s. Sacred Heart was a small Slovenian parish housed in a little wood frame building next to the railroad tracks. My Aunt still tells the story of how he took care of the parish during the depression. Apparently he came from a wealthy family in Slovenia and used that wealth to help others. Gifts would magically appear at the homes of a suffering family, kids that could not make it to CCD classes would be rounded up in his big black car, and it is said that he had a kindness that endeared his people to him. He is still held in prayer by people of that generation today.

Somehow that chalice made it into the hands of Fr. Joseph Ozimek. He was the pastor while I was growing up. He used the chalice regularly. By this time Sacred Heart was in a newer brick building but it was still a tiny Slovenian parish and the pool of servers was still relatively small and because we lived close (this was an ethnic parish, not a territorial parish) I served often.

One day I walked into the sacristy and Fr. Ozimek said, “You’re serving today?” to which I replied sullenly, “Yeah, I have to serve again.” He turned toward me and said, “No, you don’t have to. You get to.” I know I looked like I blew that comment off but it effected me deeply.

For years, kneeling before the altar in my red cassock and surplus ringing the Sanctus bells I would stare at the chalice, so artfully done, so intricate, such care and beauty, being inspired by it also to the importance of the use for which it was made – to hold the Blood of Christ! Around the base are hand tooled (not machine pressed) scenes of the crucifixion, the ascension, and the agony in the garden and on the bottom of the paten is the scene of the last supper.

When I was ordained Fr. Kunkle had the chalice restored and presented to me to use to carry on the memory of the parish and priests of Sacred Heart, which is no longer in existence. It was used at my first mass and continues to be used for weddings, funerals, the Christmas and Easter seasons, holy days, and other special occasions. For almost 90 years this work of some craftsman’s hands has served as a sacred vessel for our most precious gift, the Blood of Christ, and has touched the lips of countless new brides and inspired a new generation of Catholics. That is liturgical art at its best.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Recently I went to mass on a weekday, and instead of using glass chalices like on Sunday, one ornate gold chalice was used. It was so awe inspiring when I drank from it, I felt like I would levetiate off the ground! I know sometimes at work people wonder what I'm so pleased about and I really felt like filling them in: I drank God's blood out of a golden cup this morning! I really didn't think something like the appearance of the chalice could have such a profound effect on me.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing! What awesome detail. The intricacies of the carvings and moldings! The smith who was commissioned to create this chalice did so with such love for God! The blessings he must have received, and continues to receive, because of this love. Wow! And to those who have used it with such faith, dedication, and fervor for Christ...the blessings!! It's amazing to me how one act of love, for instance creating this chalice, can affect so many people - people you may never meet. How amazing & awesome is He! Lillian Marie

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I love reading your blog, but I really enjoyed this post. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I must be very fortunate --I've never encountered anything less than gold in any of the parishes in which I have Communicated. These items are gorgeous, Fr. V. Rich with faith and history, as well as with friendship and personal love.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome...if I ever come to Cleveland, can I see it up close? :-)

I'm amazed at the detail!

uncle jim said...

If adoro ever goes to Cleveland, the celebration will be so big the Bishop will go meet her at St Clare's, and Fr V will communicate her with precious blood from this spectacular chalice! I might even show-up for the party.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful--nothing is to good for Jesus!

Anonymous said...

Wow! People must be REALLY NICE in Cleveland!

I didn't even get NEARLY that kind of reception even when I came back from Mexico, not even from my own family!