Thursday, January 24, 2008

BE VAWY QUIET. I'M HUNTING WABBIT

From the unconfirmed rumors department: It has been passed through the grapevine that our new bishop (mind you, this is only clerical gossip) has commented that it seems we do much more music here than that to which he has become accustomed. There may very well be truth to that. There has been a push to keep music pretty well going particularly through the entire communion rite from after the “Ecce” until the “Oremus” for the prayer after communion.

C. came to visit yesterday. (I think she is becoming a contemplative though she is fighting it.) She had to visit another parish for some reason for Sunday mass. “It drove me nuts,” she reports, “the music never stopped. There was not even a moment of silence. Even when the lector was walking up to do the readings the played an interlude.”


Kind of sounds like the academy awards.


I suppose that is how many people style their lives: with a constant sound track. In the morning the telvision set goes on. In the car, the radio is on. Walking about or exercising, the Ipod is plugged into the ears, at grocery stores music is piped in. In restaurants they have televisions squawking. Outdoor stores have seemed to pick up on all of this and now blast music out onto the street. The JCC where I work out has different radio stations blasting in every room. Then there are cell phones at every moment of every day. Grrrrrrrr.



When I was afforded the opportunity to visit the Vatican, (at the time) Archbishop Broglio kindly arranged for me to have mass with John Paul II in his private chapel. (WOW) Before we walked in he was kneeling at his prie-dieu and had been there praying before the Blessed Sacrament in silence for at least an hour before we walked in that being his routine. When asked what he had to say to Jesus all that time he once responded, “Very little. I spent most of my time listening.”



That is the purpose of silence. To listen. To listen to what rises in our hearts and minds when the constant bombardment of noise stops flooding our ears. When we stop producing sounds ourselves and “be still and know that I Am God.” What rises to consciousness? Blaise Pasquale said, “Most evils come into the world because human beings cannot sit still in a chair for thirty minutes.” This can be a scary place to go. It is here that we face our true selves and find out if we are comfortable with ourselves or not. It is where we stand before God without distraction. In this way silence is a place as much as a quality of sound and it is only accessible to the still and attentive.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too much is too much. One thing Lent always seems to do for me is to make me crave silence, more than at any other time. And when I'm doing my papers for class, I can't have anything but silence, because everything else is distracting. Believe it or not, Gregorian Chant is even distracting and bugs me when I'm trying to write a paper.

People don't know how to deal with silence, and so if they have it, they fill it. It's even used in interviews/interrogations when speaking to a suspect. Ask a question, make a comment, etc., and then just remain silent. Don't speak at all. The suspect will break the silence because it will drive him (or her) crazy.

And you know, having been that person doing the interview, I have to admit that it was really hard for ME not to fill that silence with a clarifying question or even "answer" the question for the suspect.

And it's the reason you describe; because in silence we are before God, and so if we're not filling that silence by focusing on Him, we have to fill it with something artificial.

So....is it your place to do something about the music? Or are you just biding your time until you get your own church? :-)

Fr. V said...

Funny you should say that.

Oddly it seems so many places want to do MORE for lent - decorate for lent - do MORE music albeit with a lenten theme. It always drove me nuts when people would ask, "How are we going to decorate for lent?" I always suggested that we UNdecorate for lent - let us BE in the desert instead of surrounding ourselves with rich images of the desert.

But I always seem to be bucking trends.

Adrienne said...

What became of the custom of covering the statues during Lent? That was such a wonderful visual reminder.

Our Masses have become such a constant barrage of "noise" that we have started going to one of our other parish churches for a bit of relief.

Anonymous said...

Well, as long as they don't empty the holy water fonts and replace the water with sand.

I like the fact that Lent is such a sparse time of year.

What's sad at my parish is that it's sparse all the time so there's little difference between Lent and Easter. (We're working on that, trying to get through to the people stuck in whatever bad theology they got somewhere. At least they haven't used sand yet.)

Anonymous said...

Sand in the holy water fonts is not good . . . it is an error to think that we "fast" from the sacraments during Lent. (We even receive communion on Good Friday outside of the context of the Eucharist.) I guess the confusion came from the idea of baptism being an easter sacrament, which it is true to a limited extent by attribution; but we don't cease being baptized during Lent. Also, removing the baptismal water may tend to reduce its signifance to a mere "decoration," which it is not.

Anonymous said...

anon ~ Exactly. I'm so blessed that I haven't yet been to a parish that does this, although I've heard of them. Although this will be my first year at my "work" parish, hopefully they don't engage in this awful practice. If they do it, we'll be informing the Pastor immediately of the violation and why it shouldn't be done so he can have the heretic clean it out.

Hopefully it won't be an issue.

I do think that the practice arose from that same un-interpretation of Vatican II gone haywire that has been so prevalent.

Anonymous said...

My parish removes the Holy Water. It is not replaced with sand it's just empty.

MaryB

Anonymous said...

I know one priest (my former pastor) who claims we DO fast from sacraments during Lent - he refuses to perform baptisms or marriages. He wanted to remove the holy water, but enough parishioners complained that he reluctantly left it alone.