Sunday, April 29, 2007

A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME

You are the host of a grand ecclesial party. Everyone will be there. Monsignor Manners recommends that you learn the proper address for each personage since you will be in charge of the introductions.

Here are the titles from which to choose. Some may be used more than once, others not at all. Monsignor Manners will provide the answer tomorrow.

Father
Your Highness
Mr.
Seminarian
Your Excellency
Reverend Mister
Sister
Your Eminence
Deacon
Your Beatitude
Your Holiness
Your Lordship
Your Grace
Brother
Monsignor

PERSONAGES:

1. THE POPE
2. CARDINAL
3. PATRIARCH
4. PRO-NUNCIO
5. ARCHBISHOP
6. BISHOP
7. ABBOT
8. MONSIGNOR
9. PRIEST
10. DEACON
11. RELIGIOUS (MALE)
12. RELIGIOUS (FEMALE
13. SEMINARIAN
14. PRINCE GRAND MASTER OF MALTA
15. THE GRAND MASTER, THE EQUESTRIAN ORDER OF THE HOLY SEPULCHRE OF JERUSALEM

4 comments:

Mara Joy said...

wow...that would be a pretty sweet party...

Odysseus said...

Okay, I know which words to use, but what gestures. I was embarrassed two summers ago when the bishop showed up at our parish and I choked. Caught between deciding to throw myself prostrate before him or simply bow, I forgot to say "excellency" and just said, "Hey!" and shook his hand.

Adoro said...

rob...LOL!

I met the Archbishop a couple years ago and I don't recall if I ever actually addressed him at all. It was after he installed our Pastor. If I did address him it was likely by his title - Archbishop - but I really don't remember at all. He may have greeted me first.

I just love it...'HEY!" :-)

Fr. V said...

Rob - LOL!