Monday, November 27, 2017

MONDAY DIARY: ALMOST EXCRUCIATINGLY TRUE STORIES: MADE YOU LOOK YOU DIRTY CROOK

It seems no matter where you are or what you are doing, there is something trying its best to distract you away, usually from human contact to trying to get you to buy something.  I hate that so many restaurants have installed televisions.  I try so hard not to look at them but the flashing and movement lure me back against my will every few minutes.  I'm in the middle of a conversation and suddenly find myself staring at someone in a gorilla suit wearing a bikini on the Price Is Right (which I could really not care less about.)
It's not much better surfing the internet.  There are as many advertisements on it than on NPR.  Those of us of a certain age remember the promise of cable T.V.  "You pay for it, therefore there will NEVER be advertising on it!  Escape regular television with all of those horrible commercials."  That lasted all of ten minutes.

The newspaper isn't much better.  I'm not talking about all the advertisements (for we buy them too.)  I'm talking about those tricky ones.  (I hate being tricked.)  For example, the half page advertisement that covers the front page.  I try to close my eyes and rip it off without reading it.

Lately they have taken to putting stick 'em notes with advertisements on the front page so that you have to peel them off in order to read the paper.  Ooooooooooh!  That gets under my skin as bad as people not picking up their dog dodo.  I try to peel that off without reading it also but they get me as those things end up everywhere.

It seems even God tries to get in on the mania.  Just when you are content and thinking life is grand, he sends an advertisement to remind you of the important things in life:

Of course, some reminders are more pleasant than others . . . especially after Thanksgiving:

No comments: