Sunday, April 24, 2011

MONDAY DIARY: 2011 AN EASTER ODDITY

FROM THE CASE LOGS OF EXCRUCIATINGLY TRUE STORIES:

HAPPY EASTER!


So several days before Holy Week Fr. P got a service for movies on line. "What do you want to watch?" he asked me. A bit embarrassed I admitted that I had never seen "2001 A Space Odyssey." As it turns out neither had he so we sat down one evening to relax and watch a movie that is on just about every body's Top 10 Movies of All Time list.

NOW TO BE FAIR, we may have never seen the movie but we have tons of spoofs of it over the years. So that took some of the punch out of it. Then remember that we were not watching it in the world that was watching it then: Cold War, nuclear threats, social upheaval, tie dye T shirts . . .

Besides, it should be remembered that when it came out it was panned by critics. It took time to digest it before the world came to appreciate the movie. It will take time for us too. This was our first reaction and, as research shows, it was critics' first reaction too.  So for those of you who love and breath this movie - apologies and get over it.





Granted, this would not have been a problem in a theater.  But with modern technology we assumed something was wrong.  "Do not adjust your set" or something REALLY ought to have come across the screen.  I mean really.  So, things were not off to a good start.




Now, I realize that life has monotonous moments.  My life certainly does.  You should see Fr. P and I trying to figure out what movie to watch.  "I dunno.  What do you want to watch?"  But did they have to film all of the monotonous moments?  That is why I watch movies.  To ESCAPE them.
BREATH BREATH BREATH BREATH BREATH BREATH BREATH BREATH BREATH ETC. . .

Yes.  There really was an intermission.  Just like in the movie "My Fair Lady."  Ah!  Snack time.  I'm sure it was tastier than the trays of ketchup and mustard they were eating in the movie.

Fr. P is too young to get the above reference.  Did you every watch "Davey and Goliath" when you were growing up? 

Anyway, at this point I could feel my consciousness fading.  I can feel it.  I can feel it.  Will I dream?

As the song goes, "It's only just begun . . ."








There was another picture here.  Those of you who have seen this blog before have seen the picture.  However I woke up on Easter Sunday moring and felt that it was innappropriate while at the same time being absolutely perfect.  But in the interests of my salvation it was removed.  If you want to know what it was think of the picture of the church who has banners out that read, "Worship, Teaching . . ."


Maybe it will grow on me.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I don't think I've ever heard of this movie (More evidence that I must live under a rock.). How could something that sounds so painfully boring make it on to anyone's top 10 movie list?

Anonymous said...

Director Stanley Kubrick's first major movie from the 1960s makes all film critics' top-ten lists and stars Keir Dullea and the on-ship robot, HAL (the letters that precede IBM). Great score (Richard Strauss' Also Spake Zarathustra)and sweeping visuals make this a classic. It seems that I watch it every ten years or so, and it remains timelessly captivating, never looking old or tiresome.

Matt W said...

Another Cartoon Monday hit!

I've never been a big fan of that movie, but Davey and Goliath, that brings back some fond memories.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBEXxiol_RU

Pat said...

Well . . . you need to have seen it on the big screen. It was much more overwhelming in the theater than it could ever be at home.