Wednesday, June 11, 2008

GUEST BLOGGER - BE BOLD

C. is an ordinary person with a wonderful witness to the faith. She strives everyday to overcome the common fears we all face in wanting to follow Christ more unreservedly. Here is what she wrote about some of her journey thus far.
For most of my adult life I have felt like I’ve “buried my coins”. Not that I’ve been a bad person, but I know I haven’t used my gifts to their full potential. I’m trying to pick up the slack now, but sometimes I find that on the tail of every inspiration to do something good, there is that little voice of objection that says, “Why bother?”

“Why bother offering up sacrifices. Yours are too small to matter.”

“So what if unethical things are happening where you work? You can’t fight the system."

“Why pray? You’re not a priest/nun. You’re prayers aren’t important.”

There are dozens of ways to gently discourage yourself from doing anything good…ever. You can ponder just how bad the culture is and just throw your hands helplessly in the air. I can’t change the world, right?

You can distract yourself by indulging your own discouragement. Who doesn’t enjoy a good pity-party, blowing the sad little party favors of despair (*tweept*).

My most distracting thought of all is, if I do (insert blank) for God, it might lead me somewhere I don’t want to go, somewhere where there are relationships and responsibilities and commitments.

The only way I manage to do anything in life is by swatting these objections immediately away and dealing with things one day at a time. Didn’t Christ say there is trouble enough in today? I recall Mark Twain saying that worrying is like paying interest on a debt you may never owe. I try not to squander the courage God gives me by worrying about all the undesirable things I may have to do if I decide to follow Him wherever He leads.

So what if I’m not up to the task? Can any of us ever conclude that we’re “good” enough to do something great for God? Mother Theresa and St. Faustina argued (directly!) with Jesus that they were too weak, foolish, and sinful to do what He was asking of them. Jesus responded that their weakness was their only qualification, and that when they succeeded the world would know that it was God’s work and not theirs. If God still used them, why not the rest of us?

Maybe all of the objections buzzing around my head are true. Maybe I’m not smart enough, good enough, witting, charming, or brave enough to do anything important for God. I don’t care.

I’ve concluded that the perfect faith and confidence I’m waiting for isn’t coming, so I’ve stopped waiting. I’ll accept the possibility of humiliation and failure. (I hesitatingly recall another saying: “Maybe the whole purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others!”) I’m not going to expect everything I do to be perfect because most successes are messy anyway.

I’m not going to wallow in my own discouragement. Maybe the world is just as big a mess as it appears. Well, God doesn’t ask the impossible, and He’s had mercy on us this long. Maybe my generation still has a chance to fix things. I don’t think anyone wants to say on their deathbed, “Well, at least I played it safe.” We should want to be heroes! We have to plow ahead with whatever God puts in our path and ignore our own objections. If you’re in a state of grace, then charge on; God will work around your warts. We have to pray, hope, and trust. Like Mother Teresa once said, “God wants to do great things with you. Don’t get in His way.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ow. That one hit too close to home. Actually...bullseye! What!? Is there a conspiracy to keep making this point to me?

Great post!

Rich said...

adoro, me too. I think that this resonates with a lot of people because this is exactly the human condition. We love God more on some days and less on others. We sin more at times and less others. It's all about constantly trying to repent and move toward God. I keep falling, getting up and "dusting" myself. Like they say: One day at at time.

sattvicwarrior said...

I find it interesting that you quote an atheist { mark twain}
albeit a WONDEFUL post
but you have lot going on there
AND...... its about YOU
an your relationship with Christ.
NOBEL for sure
but lighten up. all the rest is total garbage.
Dont waste your time with the consciousness of others who appear as “ knowledge:” for your own area of spiritual caution
..
you say
Maybe I’m not smart enough, good enough, witting, charming, or brave enough to do anything important for God. I don’t care.....
dear. LIGHTEN UP ON YOURSELF . you ARE smart enough and GOOD, and charming I'm sure. but the rest is GUILT.[ that's SOOOOOOOOOOoooo catholic, and the essence of self indulgence.
. [ it WORKS if you have a love hate relationship with your self..
god Christ and the true essence of well being has NOTHING to do with that
....
I’ve concluded that the perfect faith and confidence I’m waiting for isn’t coming, so I’ve stopped waiting...
COOL . you DO you GET IT!!!!!!!!tis a personal thing with god not DOGMA..
(I hesitatingly recall another saying: “Maybe the whole purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others!”) I’m not going to expect everything I do to be perfect because most successes are messy anyway...
who ever said that is a EGO MANIACLE TOTAL CONTROL FREAK.
there is NO collective consciousness with Christ or god. [ its personal] that's what those dark ages cretins in ROME what you to believe.
but the tone of your post indicates you CAN think for your self, which is something the church totally negates. [ individuality] and THAT is the essence of being a GOOD Christian !!!!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fr. V said...

Sattvic -

I am totally jealous. Your most glowing review and I'd nothing to do with it.

Ah well . . .

sattvicwarrior said...

dude!!!!!!!!!!!!..
you had EVERYTHING to do with it. ..
its YOUR blog!!!!!!! YOU are the CATALYST!!!!

Anonymous said...

“Maybe the whole purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others!”

Actually, I WAS trying to lighten up with that quote. Check out the following site for more. So, so funny.

http://despair.com/viewall.html

As you will see, for all my happy God talk, I really am a terrible cynic at heart.

CK

sattvicwarrior said...

As you will see, for all my happy God talk, I really am a terrible cynic at heart...
thats YOUR choice, which is cool for you [ this is about YOU and nothing else] , and even that is a transitory position as its based in EGO which is consummately transitory as there is no sense of permanence] ..
. it has NOTHING to do with ones personal relationship with god, but is only a part of the PATH to identify with that which IS..
. so in that sense, from a detached perspective it is far from TRUTH because of the transitory nature of its existence, [ there is NO permanence in ANY of it].
God is NOT transitory. only the thoughts of man are/is .
SO ?? be a CYNIC.????
its irrelevant , be a skeptic,????
. its irrelevant be anything you want ????
. its irrelevant but when you find OUT [ EXPERIENCE} your are a part of the ALL . then you will know GOD [ indivisable nature] .. .even that's irrelevant
for NO one will know it but YOU !!!!!!!!!!![ you canoot tell it to others] . and being a CYNIC. is only a small “ brick “ on the path to realization of the consciousness called GOD. it will become DUST under your feet. but GOD will be the SAME..
unchanging!!!!.... it is THAT which IS!!!!!!!

a thorn in the pew said...

Great post. Comments made my head explode. Finding my weakness in God's strength is the only thing that get me through one day. If I relied on my "powers" or "strength" I would be laying in a puddle of drool at the end of the day. Thankfully, God takes care of much of what I would mess all up to heck. I'm praying for you sattvic.