Monday, March 19, 2007

TUESDAY QUOTE OF THE WEEK VI

FINDING TRUTH WHEREVER IT MAY BE FOUND - "Sin is a thing that writes itself across a man's face. It cannot be concealed. People talk sometimes of secret vices. There are no such things. If a wretched man has a vice, it shows itself in the lines of his mouth, the droop of his eyelids, the molding of his hands even." - Oscar Wild in "The Picture of Dorian Grey"

Quote II - "Up until age 40, genetic endowment is dominant and that is why, up until that age, we can be selfish and still look beautiful. From then onward, though, we look like what we believe in. If I am anxious, petty, selfish, bitter, narrow, and self-centered, my face will show it. Conversely, if I am warm, gracious, humble, and other centered, my face will also show it. A scary thought; there can be no poker faces after 40. - Ronald Rolheiser.



In other news - Defund Abortion Guy sent this depressing link supplied by Cleveland Right to Life which lists the loss of life due to abortion in the nation and in particular Ohio and the Diocese of Cleveland. Yet despite the numbers we are very comfortable in the middle of it. It is as if it is a war over seas and nobody is reporting it. It does not effect us - these people are not people we know - and we as a nation can pretend that nothing happened nor is anything happening. In the story of Lazarus and the rich man. Notice that there is no indication that the rich man was even aware of the presence of the poor man at his door, yet he was held accountable. Kind of scary.

1 comment:

Adoro said...

Your Oscar Wilde quote is so true. John Paul II wrote about that, too, but for some reason I can't remember in which encyclical or exhortation.

(If it sounds like I'm obsessed with JP2...I am...as long as this class lasts, anyway!)

If I remember what it is while I'm studying I'll find it and post it here. Very illuminating.

Now excuse me while I go to the mirror and practice looking serene and humble...