Thursday, August 21, 2014

THE SOUND OF SILENCE


In less than 15 years this parish will be celebrating its 100th anniversary.  It isn’t too soon to start planning.  One of the things on the wish list is a restoration of the church building.  (N.B. restoration, not renovation)  There is one thing, however, that I would like to change though I do not know if it is possible and perhaps you might be able to help.  (No, not by sending in money – although if you want to it would not be refused!)

 

A few years ago while somewhere in Europe I came across a church (the only place I have ever seen it) where the kneelers were counterweighted so that when you stood up they slowly went up on their own and rested in an out-of-the-way upright position.  Normally this would involve people bending over to grab or kicking up with their feet the kneeler accompanied by great banging usually while trying to start the Pater Noster.  Like cell phones, totally distracting and annoying during the Mass.  The only problem is, after great searching on the internet, I have failed to find anything.
 
Here’s where you come in . . . have you seen such beasts?  Do you know who makes them?  If you do, would you kindly let me know???
 
IN OTHER NEWS:
 
NEW PET PEEVE:


There was a sign in my home town the other day that pleaded, “School is in.  Please drive slow.” 
 
Apparently we really need school to be in.  “Please drive slowLY.  Drive SLOWLY.  Cars are slow.  People are slow.  But one drives SLOWLY.  We goed to skool in order to be teached that their.
 
( I know.  Get over it.  My grammer is not perfect either.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess the sign is somewhat effective in that it makes you slow down to do a double take! :p

Anonymous said...

You seem a little touchy this week.

Anonymous said...

besides touchy . . . bothered by details

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Father Valencheck can find out who the anonymous commenters are.

Anonymous said...

No, he can't, and that's the fun part. Otherwise we would be in trouble. You have to agree...

Cyndy Cook said...

The closest thing that I have seen to what you are describing re the kneelers are the spring-loaded versions sold at places like this: http://eisenhourchurch.com/Kneelers/kneelerseisenhou.html I think the so-called "automatic" kneelers you may have been describing must be spring-loaded.



tara said...

We have them at Communion of Saints in Cleveland Heights. I feel like they do still make a bit of noise, but I'll pay closer attention tomorrow and let you know! The only thing I don't like is (at least in our case) the back of the pew is 2 pieces (horizontal seam) and it kind of tilts forward when the person behind you lowers their kneeler. So I feel guilty when I arrive at mass and I disturb the people in front of me.

soufiane nejjari said...

i'm very happy to read this post
School Mfa
Writing Uk
Pokemon Books

Chris P. said...

http://atwood-hamlin.com/Spring_Lift_Kneelers.html