Monday, July 25, 2011

MONDAY DIARY: HOW MOM AND DAD MET



Sometimes people will say that they are glad that they are not a priest because of the sad stories we must hear all the time in the confessional or during difficult moments of people’s lives. But those stories are balanced out by the great ones told about the highlights from people’s lives.

For example during my wedding preps I always ask the question, “How did the engagement take place?” Though enjoyable, it also says something about the people involved. At least a quarter of the time the guys tries to plan something memorable and romantic and his soon-to-be-finance is not interested in doing whatever activity he has planned. One guy buried the ring in the beach where they liked to go building sand castles. The plan was to go out and start digging and say, “Oh my! What is this?” Of course for the first time in her life she did not want to go sand castle building that day. “But we HAVE to!” “No! I don’t want to go! I’m tired and hungry.” Of course he has to find away to go out and get that ring worth thousands of dollars out of the sand without giving away the surprise.

Much more of the time it works out. One of my favorites was a guy who brought his girl to the Christmas concert at St. Sebastian knowing how important her parish was to her. At the end they went over to one of the side shrines and he proposed to here there. It nice to know that chivalry is not completely dead. 99.5% of the time the guy still talks to Dad and Mom and still goes down on one knee when he asks.

There are the stories about how they met also. Online social network stories are popping up more but “met at the bar” stories seem to be waning. Perhaps my all time favorite “How We Met Story” was when the couple was very young and she beat him up in karate class at first making him cry and later solidifying their friendship until this coming year when they shall be known as Mr. and Mrs.

Do you have a story to share?  For those who got married or are engaged take the poll to the right.

10 comments:

Baron Korf said...

When kneeling on the beach, watch for the incoming tide. It is hard to keep a straight face with sea weed up your shorts. True story.

Also, if you have been dating for a long time, do not be surprised if the family's reaction is "well it's about time". Same true story.

Anonymous said...

even funnier is when you've known each other a long time, FINALLY get married, and then an elderly distant relative says "again?--I thought you two already got married a long time ago!" Also true story.

melody said...

I recently wrote about our engagement here: http://tinyurl.com/3oz3xqf
He did go down on one knee and I am delighted to report that I was not in any way ornery or difficult or attempt to foil his plans (what are the odds?).... although I've had 15 years since then to frustrate him plenty. :)

Pat said...

On a November evening, my son had friends string white lights around the shrine of the Sacred Heart on the St. Mary's College campus. He also had them put the ring on the Sacred Heart's finger. As my son and his intended approached the shrine, they plugged in the lights. And she saw the ring. Don't know if he got down on one knee to ask, but she said yes.

Anonymous said...

My husband did not propose. He simply started making wedding plans and dragged me along about six months after we met. We were co-workers, and I was rather hesitant about even dating him for that reason.

I'm still waiting for a proposal, but yes, I married him (in 1988!) We are happy and I am grateful to be married to a decent Catholic man, but I still rather miss not being proposed to!

Fr. V said...

LOL!

That's great.

Helen said...

We were sitting in the car outside my apartment after a date. It was a wild, wild thunderstorm. rain was coming down in buckets. He asked me, "Would you like to be buried with my people?" There was an immediate CLOSE flash of lightening, lighting up the whole area. It scared me so bad that I said yes. Then came the deafening clap of thunder. True story. We will be married 45 years in Feb. I doubt I'd have said yes without the lightening bolt....but I'm glad I did!

Anonymous said...

my husband proposed through a proposal spelled out on a new Scrabble board - i almost blew it because i found his rough draft on a post it in the box and asked "WHAT IS THIS?" without having opened the board... then he hastily opened he rest of the game and went down on one knee...

Beth Lemer said...

My proposal story is boring. How I met my hubs, is different:

I went out with my girlfriends to the broken drum, a bar I would never normally go. That night, it happened to be the bars annual biker rally. Upset and distraught my friends wanted to stay there I ordered a drink. A guy next to me says to the bartender, "heres the list for the beer drinking contest!" I grabbed the list and signed myself up. Apparently I was the only girl up against 5 cowboys, one being my now husband. Guess who won? :o)

Fr. V said...

Thank you SO MUCH for the stories! They made my day.