Friday, July 22, 2011

FRIDAY POTPOURRI: WHAT DOES ONE SAY TO A POPE?

Thank you to everyone who helped clear up the mystery of a cardinal’s name. As Mom always said, “You learn something new every day.”

While we are at it, we might as well look at how one writes to the pope. (You can extrapolate from this how to do so electronically.)

Unlike a cardinal, it is assumed that everyone regardless of rank is introduced TO the pope. As in, “Your Holiness, may I introduce to you Father Matthew Pfeiffer, Father Pfeiffer, this is His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI.” This is a good thing to keep in your hip pocket. I know you are thinking to yourself, “Well, interesting – but when am I going to meet a pope or even a cardinal?” You’d be surprised. I was.

If you would like to drop the pope a note such as, “Everyone here thinks you’re doing swell,” you may write directly to him:

His Holiness
Pope Benedict XVI
The Apostolic Palace
00120 Vatican City
Europe


The opening of the letter should be, “Your Holiness” or “Most Holy Father” and close with, “Respectfully yours,”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't imagine why, but I just jotted down that address! TY.