Wednesday, March 9, 2011

NOT MUCH. JUST DRIVING. U?

The worst part is that they are so preoccupied that you can’t even give them the evil eye.

It is true that you can’t help a person unless they first realize that they have a problem. It’s like asking a mechanic to work on your invisible car. “Sure, I’ll change the oil on your invisible car. I just got a case of invisible oil yesterday. Psst. Harry; I’ll keep him occupied, you call the guys in the white lab coats.

So the other day I’m driving down the highway and there is a car driving side by side with another car backing up all the traffic behind them going a little under the speed limit. Every once in a while the car in front of me would swerve just a little bit. Not a lot. But more than to be of no concern.

Finally the guy in the right lane moved so as to clear a way for other cars. Sure enough, on passing the car in question there was a person with their phone held against the steering wheel, typing away, looking down every few seconds and then looking back up – intently staring forward to asses where their car is – and then back down.

I looked over strongly desiring to mouth, ‘STOP TEXTING AND DRIVE” but the driver was far too preoccupied to be aware of their environment beyond text and the next 100 feet of road. So I can only imagine that this person thinks, “See, I’m a good driver. No problems! I can handle this.”

Years ago the following slogan was used for drunk drivers. I am to adapt it for this situation. I find it more true since at least when you are going to drive drunk, you are impaired in that decision. Not so with texting.

WHEN YOU CHOOSE TO TEXT AND DRIVE, SOMETHING INSIDE OF YOU STOPS CARING FOR ANOTHER HUMAN LIFE.

3 comments:

ck said...

Awesome bumper sticker!

Sarah Oldham said...

Amen.
I see SO much of this in Hawaii . . . However, when I see those who pull over to take the call/text, I must applaud them for the right-thinking/life -honouring decision.

Trevor said...

Umm, Father? Sometimes spell check doesn't catch them all! I think they are suppose to "intently stare forward to 'assess' where the car is" not the other... :)