Friday, March 26, 2010

FRIDAY POTPOURRI: WHILE IT LASTS!

As you may be aware, Saint Mary on South Main in Akron is slated to close this summer - a victim of "progress." It's once thriving neighborhood has been divided up over the years by highways and the expansion of industry and Catholics, as they are wont to do, have moved out to other locations.

In my opinion this church building is the finest piece of architecture in the diocese both for its authenticity and its integrity. I wish a lot of things - and the world would be a much different place if everyone followed my every whim, but I wish we could do something with this building so that it might be preserved as a gem of Catholic architecture in this diocese. But greater things than this have been lost and guess what - people are still saved and the Church lives on.

That being said - if someone would give me several million dollars I promise to buy it, fix it up, and use it as - I don't know - a private shrine, a venue for concerts - anything . . .

I took my cousin to visit two weeks ago. These pictures were taken that day. Next week there will be pictures of the interior and my climb up the bell tower.

If you get the chance, please do yourself a favor and visit the Church before June. There is something so pleasing about the proportions and lines of this building. According to the pastor who has been so kind about my visits, there have been many artists and architects stopping buy to study, make sketches, take pictures, and such.

Here are a couple of pictures that I hope explain why.
Saint Mary, 750 South Main Street, Akron, OH 44311























7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it can be bought and moved like another has...
I agree with you. It is beautiful and I hate it when that happens.

Teresa Giorgio said...

Thank you so much for this, Father V! Your pictures are wonderful and so is your tribute. I am a 25+ year member of St. Mary Parish and cannot find words to express how sad we are all feeling with the merger. We actually live closer to your parish, and my husband and I are considering joining St. Seb's. Our lively family of nine children will need a solid parish we can call home.

I hope many people come to see the beauty of St. Mary's and experience God's presence there before it's closure.

Anonymous said...

CLASSIC is the best descriptor for the architectural beauty of St. Mary Church on Akron's south side. I agree with Father that the church building, after its closing on June 27, would make an ideal venue for concerts of sacred music due to its visual appeal and fine acoustics. I can personally attest to both as my wife and I have been privileged to sing in St. Mary's Gregorian Schola the last several years. We look forward to our remaining months at St. Mary's as well as Father's other mention(s)of the church's interior and campanile. Thank you, Father Valencheck.

Sharon said...

The churches in which we worship reflect our attitude to the worship of our God. The contrast between the churches of yore, built often with the pennies of the poor, and today's minimalist cinder block churches says it all.

Anonymous said...

It is alot like coming back to your childhood home one day and finding it gone. You just stand there stunned that something that brought so much meaning into your life can now be only a memory. If you try really hard you can still hear the consecration bells, smell the incense, and see the faithful finishing the last decade of the sorrowful mysteries.

Anonymous said...

dear father--your photos brought tears to my eyes---i admit i'm not quite as accepting as you--(after all you are a holy father---not THE holy father--but never the less).i have only been at ST. Mary's for approx. 3 years and my heart is breaking--to let such a sacred place of such exquisite beauty be deconsecrated sends shivers down my back--sorry father, but this action really feels to ugly for words---i can intellectually accept the wisdom of our bishop---but my heart and gut has a long way to go--sincerely, weeping eyes and heart in west akron--n.--p.s.please pray for all st mary's parishoners and the Latin Mass--that we will all find a loving home--.

Robert M Kraus Sr said...

St James in Lakewood, designed by Edward Graham of Boston, as is St Marys, has suffered the same fate. What will become of those buildings?

r m kraus, architect