Friday, March 12, 2010

FRIDAY POTPOURRI: OUT ON A LIMB

Today is confirmation day here at Saint Sebastian and we are preparing for the arrival of our bishop. So it is a busy day and not a lot of time for such things as blogging. However this has been on my mind a lot as of late - so here is a quick post.

This is a picture of a church that I took while I was in Prague.

This is a picture that I took of the road that dead ends into the back of St. Sebastian Parish. It did not turn out as well in the picture as I had hoped but perhaps you will be struck by the similarities between the two pictures. Above, the tall stately columns branch out high above the floor of the nave to support the ceiling. Below the might oaks soar up from the devil strip (that an anAKRONism) and their branches arch over the avenue far below creating a canopy.

Granted, perhaps I should not have taken this picture on trash day - but pretend those are the Stations of the Cross and the speed limit sign is the song board.

I want to say something witty and insightful about this but I am too scatterbrained today. Perhaps the pictures will say something to you themselves.

5 comments:

Pat said...

Um..."Grace builds upon nature?"

Elena LaVictoire said...

Very excited about confirmation tonight and I'll be blogging on that later as well!

The street you photographed is my FAVORITE! I will go out of my way to go down that street and my kids and husband make fun of me for it. I don't care - I love those big old arching trees.

Robert M Kraus Sr said...

See how narrow the nave is . . . of the church in Prague. That's because the roof vaults are made of stone and because of their weight they cannot span any farther than si shown in the picture.

Anonymous said...

It's a nice picture nevetheless.

Anonymous said...

Very nice pictures..but,I have a hard time pretending those trash cans as Stations of the Cross!
Love your blog.