Monday, June 20, 2011

MONDAY DIARY: HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

Ah . . .

Father’s Day.

I decided to take the day easy. Since Dad is no longer with us I was going to enjoy the day myself having, at least, the title father. Activities at the parish were done about 3:30 and so I went on a bike ride and hoped to go over to some friend’s house for an outdoor get-together – but alas a fantastic rainstorm hit.

For those of you who read last week, there is an extra dog in the house. We did finally reach her owners. They are out of town. We have been trying to get a handle on when they think they might be back but they are mostly incommunicado. About the only thing I was able to divine was her name.

It’s moonbeam.

So Moonbeam, Sebastian, and I were home alone – they were itching to get out and I was itching for them to be out. The garage door was opened and I sat in a folding chair dry from the rain and threw balls out into the yard for them to chase – taking advantage of every puddle of water they could find.

Coming inside was when I finally got wet. There was rain coming in several places in the rectory. (Turns out it was good that I was home!) Now that I think of it – this almost always happens on a Sunday. Go figure. Last time I went up on the roof I got out three ladders to make it up there before I figured out that there is a trap door from the top floor which would require no ladders at all. The roof was indeed ankle deep in water. The stately trees that grace our property also have their downside – they shed – A LOT – and though the roofs have been cleaned twice already this summer, the drains were plugged once again. Pulling all the muck away from the drains the water whooshed down the drains like it couldn’t wait to get off of the roof.

The second roof also had standing water. About three inches. But the drain was not blocked – it must have been plugged. The dogs and I went about building to building looking for places were there might be a plunger. Finding one we went back. The dogs could actually join me on this roof and they jumped and rolled enjoying the three or four inches of water. It almost seemed a shame to unplug the drain. A couple of pumps however and the drain unplugged and down went the water.

Made me feel rather useful and he-manish saving the rectory. That was a nice Father’s Day present.

8 comments:

Holly said...

I absolutely love reading your blog, and I should probably comment more often. I look forward to the humor interjected into the everyday happenings at your Parish. You are a delight … happy belated Father’s Day!

Anonymous said...

what breed is Moonbeam?

rmk

Fr. V said...

Black lab.

MJ said...

ROFL!!!
Bet the soaking wet dogs added to the water in the rectory.

Anonymous said...

I'll uncunbowtake her, if nobody wants her.

rmk

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Father's Day. HMMMMM......

Seems as if you are providing free dog care service - - but enjoying it!

tara said...

"That was a nice Father’s Day present." It appears you have very low standards for gifts! Way to make the best of it though.

Anonymous said...

Beware if you feel tempted to give Moonbeam away. Charge money for her. The problem is their are plenty of people who will take a free dog to place into dogfights (which is why animal shelters always charge a fee for adoption). If you do give her away know the people really well who are taking her.