Monday, February 12, 2007

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER

A couple came into my office today to get married and I asked as I usually do how they met, courted, and eventually became engaged. It was a story that was always enjoyable hearing my parents tell of their own meeting. Mom worked behind the soda fountain and Dad was just home from the war in full uniform. They kept an eye on each other from afar until her brother, my Uncle Johnny, asked my Dad to join him, his date and my mother out to a dance. And, as Christopher West is fond of pointing out, the kids rhyme has it correct, "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage."
So it seems with this couple that came in today. Not only will they have good memories and a clear conscience, but what a great story they will have to pass on their children. I can't imagine having the story, "We got drunk, we hooked up, and the next thing we knew we had to get married. But really! It turned out Okay! And we are happy! Really!"

No comments: