Sunday, October 26, 2014

MONDAY DIARY: ALMOST EXCRUSIATINGLY TRUE STORIES: NOT JUST ANOTHER HALLMARK DAY

This past Sunday was Priesthood Sunday.  It started off rather marvelously with one of St. Sebastian's own being ordained to the transitional diaconate and our introduction of a new seminarian from the parish.  How else can you celebrate?
 
I'll tell you.  The 5th graders made Happy Priesthood Sunday cards.  I'll share a couple of them with you.
 
One young man wrote, "You are an awesome priest.  I hope you are here until I am 30.  That would be awesome."
 
I'm not sure what happens at 30.  Maybe he'll be ordained then and won't need me any more.  Or maybe 30 just seems really, really far away - but I am further away from 30 now than he is.  In any event, it is likely since they are considering a new retirement age of three years past death.
Another great kid included the passage, "Since, on the seventh day, God finished with the work He had been doing, He rested on the seventh day."  Then he added, "Take a break like God did!"
Perhaps the most ominous one was this one.  In each of the cards the kids included their favorite Bible passage.  So for Priesthood Sunday one student included, "Forgive them Father for they know not what they are doing."
 
Still, they all did this to me:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should post them in the vestibule. They would be fun to read..out of the mouth of babes