Sunday, July 8, 2012

MONDAY DIARY: ALMOST EXCRUCIATINGLY TRUE STORIES: EVERYONE'S MISERY IS RELATIVE

It seems to happen every summer without fail.  It is the hottest day of the year.  (Akron broke a record with temperatures in the triple digits.)  It is a weekend.  And the air conditioner breaks down.  Of course it does not happen on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or even a Friday.  That would be far too convenient.

So I run in to Fr. P (very crudely drawn this week) as I was coming back from the church after spending some time in the basement trying to get the dern AC going again.




In lighter news, we are having one of our parking lots and the side walk surrounding it redone.  Here is one of the men smoothing out a little patch of cement for me.
Just like a movie star, Sebastian has his paw print placed in the wet cement.  (It's different because I am an adult and not a kid playing in the wet cement . . .)


In still other news:  Having the Fourth of July on a Wednesday meant that people were celebrating our nation's birthday for at least six days.  On two of those days I went up into our bell tower which is about 110' high and took a look at the various fireworks displays going on.  The first night I could count at least four going on along with some impressive shows in coming from people's back yards.  I think these pictures are from Fairlawn.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheer up, Father. Our AC is broken at St. Bernard as usual. It nice and toasty there, and will be until October or so when it gets good and cold until about May.

Every summer when it got hot, I used to tell Fr. Schindler it was time to turn on the AC, and he laughed like that was the funniest thing he'd heard all day.

I just remind myself that if my forbears who attended St. Bernard's in 1905 could manage the heat at Mass while wearing corsets, woolen clothing, hats and gloves, so can I.

Anonymous said...

At St. Victor's in Richfield, it is always cold, twelve months out of the year. Although, to be honest, I admit that I'M always cold. Being a lady of a certain age (ahem!) I guess it goes with the territory.