Tuesday, November 8, 2011

TUESDAY QUOTE OF THE WEEK CCXXXV

FINDING TRUTH WHEREVER IT MAY BE FOUND: “God attaches pleasure to the things He really wants us to do – that’s necessary for our survival. So it is a pleasure to eat, drink, sleep, and have intercourse – thought that is not the purpose. We are called to do it at the right time, place, manner, with the right person, and in the right way.” A lost the reference for this quote.

IN OTHER NEWS:

P sent this in: "Dear Fr. Valencheck, Five episodes of Fr. Robert Barron's series on Catholicism will be shown on EWTN next week (Wednesday Nov. 16 through Saturday Nov. 19).

Fr. Barron will be interviewed on EWTN Live (November 16) at 8:00 PM (ET). An introduction to the series will immediately follow at 9:00-9:30 pm. The first and second episodes will then follow at 10:00 and 11:00 PM (ET). Full program schedule (November 16 through 19.) For more information go here.

The Diocese of Cleveland Enewsletter asks, "Did you know, this weekend and next weekend you could be an audience member for tapings of the TV show "Living Right with Dr. Ray"?

"Dr. Ray Guarendi, a nationally syndicated radio and TV personality will be tapings shows at the studios of Eastern Christian Media located off of W. 117th Street at 12801 Berea Road in Cleveland." Read more here.

J P sent this in. It is blog post at Young Fogeys that she thought was pretty good. Here it is - though I fear he is preaching to the choir.

Elena sent this picture over of a Slovenian at Octoberfest.

Less than 6 minutes:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pro-life video gave me goosebumps. It is inspiring.

Matt W said...

At least the Slovenian's shoes match.

Anonymous said...

Father, I read the Young Fogey article a couple of days ago, and everything he said is so true. But he said something else that is stuck in my craw and really bothers me: "Truth is, we really don't want them to change their ways. Uncatechized adult Catholics would require work, time spent instructing them in the Truth and destructing what they've come to believe as truth, and we don't want that. Priests have a work schedule largely unaccountable to anyone, and many of them take advantage of that."
Does that bother you as much as it bothers me? "Priests have a work schedule largely unaccountable to anyone, and many of them take advantage of that." The Young Fogey glossed right over this and did not address this astoundingly significant point. If priests are slacking off, do they really have a leg to stand on when they complain about the laity? I say, no, they don't. A priest should work as though his Bishop is observing him throughout the work day. Not just because it's a good work ethic, but because by baptism and particularly by ordination, priests share in the mission of Christ as priest, prophet, and king, and priests should take that seriously. If priests know of other priests (or of themselves) who are slacking off, then perhaps the effort to renew the Church should begin with them. Mt 7:3 - Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Father, I need to clarify. I wasn't directing that Bible verse to you, or even to the Young Fogey. I quoted it because it seems to apply to this situation that bothers me so much.

Fr. V said...

It is kind of funny that some people think that the pope is aware of everything that every priest does.

It is true there is not a lot of direct accountability for how much a priest works. He is supposed to be the accountable one. because of this some end up working WAY too hard and others way too little.

I am sure you would agree to amend your comment from priests have no right to complain to SOME priests have no right to complain.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I would agree, because in my follow-up post after the long one, I tried to clarify that I am talking about only those priests that Young Fogey is referring to, not all priests.
I don't know why you mention the Pope...I hope I didn't imply that I expect the Pope to be aware of everything that every priest does, because I don't. I'm just saying that priests -- like anyone else -- should have a good work ethic, which means working like they will be held accountable, even if they are not held accountable. And that doesn't mean priests should OVERwork!
It just bothers me that apparently some priests take advantage of not being held accountable, and it's all the more dismaying when there is so much work that needs to be done, as evidenced by Young Fogey's article.
God's Blessings.