Friday, December 6, 2019

FRIDAY POTPOURRI: BORING BEATITUDES

I can’t stand the beatitudes.

Well, that’s not exactly true.  I can’t stand the way they are taught.  In my experience they are presented in a fashion a kin to “we should be nice to each other,” vacuous platitudes that do little good.  You can’t fight it (who wants to not be nice?)  But like another “footprints in the sand” plaque, what do you do with it?

In fact, the beatitudes are as practical being reminded to change the batteries in your smoke detector when the time changes: they are life savers.  When ignored we do so at our spiritual, mental and physical peril.  But we need to understand them more in depth than, “Oh, you should be kind to poor people.”


For the next little while (and if time permits) Friday Potpourri will be focusing on the Beatitudes.  I hope you enjoy them but even more, mine out of them more than platitudes but of a practical way of living.  

1 comment:

JoAnne said...

Thank you so much once again from Canada, I have missed you. I look forward to learning more about the Beatitudes as I have a very superficial understanding of this important teaching. Just clicked on again today to procrastinate from some work and not expecting anything except "Hi Fa.....Oh" what a lovely surprise to see you back!