Sunday, January 8, 2017

MONDAY DIARY: ALMOST EXCRUCIATINGLY TRUE STORIES: IT AIN'T OVER UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Despite what the retail stores may tell you or past experiences of Christmas may lead one to believe, It is STILL Christmas even if only for a few extra hours this year.  Granted, this Sunday may have normally been the last Sunday of Christmas but because of this year's slightly odd schedule and the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord being bumped off Sunday so that we can celebrate the Epiphany (which was bumped off of the 6th,) we will celebrate the His Baptism on Monday, so, according to the Ordo on Monday, January 9th, "After the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord, Ordinary Time begins."

Volunteers stood ready to start taking the sanctuary apart and a few parishioners inquired about adopting some poinsettias.

I will admit however that it is FAR easier to take down Christmas on Sunday afternoon than on Monday afternoon.  So perhaps I cheated.  A little.  I had some friends over on Sunday who helped me disassemble some of the rectory.  Evidence of this can be seen by the trail of the Christmas tree tinsel from my office to the trash enclosure.

Even Sebastian tried to snitch on me.
I think it is awesome to color inside the lines with the liturgical calendar.  There is something magical about coming in for the First Sunday of Advent and seeing a parish church different from what it was in Ordinary Time.  There is something awe inspiring to NOT see Christmas half set up on the Fourth Sunday of Advent but to walk in on Christmas Day and have your heart say, "WOW!" at the transformation.  Equally, there are those (and I DO understand, I just don't agree) who think the poinsettias look pretty, and being just flowers, should be left up for awhile even after the Christmas season is over.  But as soon as the whistle blows ending Christmas, I try to get them out of sight in order to advertise to the community symbolically that Christmas is absolutely over now and we are in ordinary time.  

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Sacristan at the end of Mass this morning -- "Take a poinsetta as you go!"

Nan said...

Poinsettia adoption day is an official part of the unofficial liturgical calendar and signifies a return to ordinary time. Usually the priest announces it at the end of afternoon Mass.

Anonymous said...

Did you for get that you have a full beard? You will have to start drawing yourself with it.

Fr. V said...

While true, I don't know how much longer it will last and I don't want to confuse the cartoon world. If my sister has anything to do with it it will be gone yesterday. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

I agree with your sister that why I wrote my comment anonymous. It does not look as bad since you trimmed it.