Monday, April 25, 2016

MONDAY DIARY: ALMOST EXCRUCIATINGLY TRUE STORIES: DON'T DO IN FRONT OF YOUR PRIEST WHAT YOU DON'T WANT OTHERS TO KNOW

It is not an easy thing to be related to or be good friends with a priest.  We are constantly looking out for things to include in our homilies in order to make the Gospels come to  life.
So this past weekend I was out of state to attend my nephew's wedding.  Neither the bride nor groom were Catholic so I was in attendance rather than officiating - a unique experience for me.  We arrived in North Carolina just in time for the rehearsal dinner (good timing) and sat across from the minister and my sister Lor.  The man was a good listener and asked lots of questions.  But, as a fellow preacher at weddings, I saw the turn the conversation was having:
"Why did you kick me under the table?" my sister asked.

"Because he was trolling for information and you were giving it to him."

She didn't believe me.

"I'm telling you Lor, that's how you find things out in order to give an engaging homily.  I tell you, what you were saying was being carefully catalogued away and will be revisited tomorrow."

"You are so over sensitive to these things," she said to me.

Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Loose lips sink ships..."

Louis said...

It's so true!
Brother/Random Cousin/Anonymous friend: Man, I hope no one finds out about this misadventure I just had.
Me: What are you kidding? There's a homily in there somewhere.