Sunday, August 4, 2013

MONDAY DIARY: ALMOST EXCRUSIATINGLY TRUE STORIES: FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

Continuing the saga of the broken dishwasher:  In the grand scheme of things this is a silly problem - and "problem" is a strong word to use in this story.  I mean - really - most of humanity never has, doesn't have, a probably never will have a machine that washes their dishes for them.  And there are people starving in the city.  So I know - just get over it.  Besides, remember when you were growing up how much fun it was when it was you and your sister's turn to wash the dishes together - how close it made you? 
My sister in New York never had a dishwasher and she talks about how relaxing she finds it.  She was also voted Most Likely To Enter an Insane Asylum.  I take that back, that wasn't nice.  But on the other hand she doesn't have staff and volunteers and visitors on an hourly basis leaving mugs and cups and dishes in her house.  In fact, now that her kids are grown, its just her and my brother-in-law.  And they're minimalists when it comes to setting the table.  NOT a fair comparison.
 
I must say that our plant manager really hopped to it to help us out in the rectory.  Gads am I lucky.  He took care of the whole thing.  I tried to be nonchalant about the whole thing.  I think I did a pretty good job of making it sound like the whole thing didn't matter too much to me because, quite frankly, I was embarrassed at how much I wanted the piece of junk replaced and working.
I didn't even have to do much research.  He took care of it.
And when there were snags, I made a good show of rolling along with the punches.
And though I was very grateful, I was dignified when it was installed and working.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. It is the little luxuries in life like, hot water, air conditioning, and dishwashers that make our live easier. We sure do miss them when they are gone. When I was doing without I just tried to offer it up. I thought it might be a penitence for something I forgot to confess. No more dish pan hands for you. Snickers Mom

Anonymous said...

Funny! I am one of the strange ones who loves to wash dishes. I find it to be a great contemplative activity. So if you ever need a volunteer washer again at St. Sebastian, I volunteer! :)

lgreen515 said...

Get me a monkey that washes dishes--Bwaah hah hah!

Cyndy said...

For what it's worth, my kids were really pulling for the monkey option.

:)

Unknown said...

I've had a dishwasher for ages, but I regularly opt out of using it. I think it's because washing the dishes by hand reminds me of big holiday meals. Lots of family = lots of dishes, and a big group in the kitchen sharing the chore. One would wash, one would rinse...you get the idea.