Friday, October 28, 2011

FRIDAY POTPOURRI: MERRY HOLLOWMAS

All-Hollow’s-Eve is just about here. Must be time to get ready for Christmas.

That was sarcasm there.

Lots of interesting things end up in manger scenes. I like the cat having a litter of kittens. It is the whole idea of the incarnation – Jesus was born into the real world of babies and blood, life and death. Why not have a cat having a litter of kittens to remind us of that? Real life did not stop for Jesus. He was one like us in all things but sin right?

In Barcelona there is the tradition of a red capped peasant squatting down and creating fertilizer in the manager too. Kind of a stark reminder of the world in which Jesus was born.

I remember seeing my teachers for the first time outside of school in “real” clothes and having to go to the bathroom. “They DO that?” I remember thinking. Well of course they did. And of course that is the world Jesus was born into. That too, did not stop for the birth of the Messiah.

1 comment:

lgreen515 said...

I remember how astonished I was to see my second grade teacher at the Acme. I thought that she just spent her whole life in the classroom.