Thursday, February 14, 2008

HELP FIGHT MAD CHURCH DISEASE

You will be disappointed in the Church.

If you have not already, you will be.

Well, maybe not so much the Church, but by something associated with the Church that risks turning you sour on her.

I was reminded of that last night. A lady (a nun actually) that I had not seen in maybe ten years was at a parish I was visiting. She saved my vocation. Before I was ordained I went through a fairly rough patch with a couple of priests. All exaggerations aside, it was one of the worst periods I have ever gone through. (Nothing sordid mind you, just rough.) I had every intention of dropping out of the seminary. My shelves were cleared off, my bags packed, and phone calls were made to my spiritual director and my parents. Two things stopped that from happening. One was my spiritual director who gave this advice, “Make them kick you out.” The other was this nun who had unflagging confidence in me and provided a bottomless pit of support and prayer.

After this difficult time passed there was time to see that something very good had come out of it. It was the realization that some things that I erroneously equated with Church, namely the personality of an individual within her, was not in fact “Church.” Factoring that out the question I asked myself if I still loved the priesthood and ministering to people. The answer was unequivocally, “Yes!” So I was able to let go of this situation and not hold it against the Church. And with some bandages offered by the seminary I was able to continue on to priesthood. (For me, leaving the Church was never an option. Once one accepts the teaching on the Eucharist, like Peter I would ask, “Where else would we go?”)

As it turned out the priests came to be a couple of pretty capitol guys. Whatever was going on at that point was a passing affliction. (I can't even believe now almost having left the priesthood over something some limited and passing!) But things like this do and will happen (“should” or “shouldn’t” notwithstanding.) You will encounter something similar; a bad reaction, a scandal, a conflict of personalities or points of view. You may BE that person or cause to someone else. (I have been – those of you who remember the post on the woman and confirmation. Ugh.) The question to ask oneself is, “Is that about which I am upset concerning the Church proper, or am I upset with something extraneous but connected?” Even bishops are known to speak opinions that are at times not in mind with the Church or are at least not an official teaching of the Church.

Do not let such things separate you from the sacraments! It is not worth it. Besides, where else do you receive to Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ? Where else do you receive the unambiguous forgiveness of sin? Where else would you be connected to the chair of Peter? To throw this away over a squabble with a brother or sister in Christ is like throwing away the winnings of the million-dollar lottery because one of the bills is wrinkled.

Keep your eye on the prize.

AND HAPPY STS. CYRIL AND METHODIUS DAY!

8 comments:

Odysseus said...

-post on the woman and confirmation. Ugh.-

Link, please! Sounds good. :)

Anonymous said...

ROFL, Rob!

This may be a little different, but the danger of rancor is the same. Years ago, a co-worker and I got into a brief discussion about the Church, and instantly her rage rushed to the fore. Fr. So-and-so --who the blankety-blank did he think HE was-- had refused to baptize her innocent little baby, Robyn. Seems mom and dad didn't go to Mass regularly if anymore, and w/couldn't assure Fr. No-I-can't-do-it that little Robyn would. I didn't know enough then to say that priests have to protect the sacraments, tho' I suggested she might go ask a different priest. "GRRRR--I haven't been back to the church since!" she said, and Robyn was now 9. So, all of them doing without the sacraments--but for what?

Adrienne said...

I thank God, working through people, that you were "saved" for us. We need more priests like you. You are wise beyond your age.

And, I thank God for my wonderful Catholic education that taught me the difference between the divine part of the church vs the people part and the protection of the Holy Spirit.

Adoro said...

This is a great post, and one everyone should read. There are so many people who have errant opinions about "The Church" because of one errant human being, who, in that moment, did not represent the Church.

I know I've been that errant human being myself.

I'm also grateful to the woman who saved your Vocation. And I'm certain that you, in turn, have more positively affected the Vocations and the foundational faith of thousands of Catholics, not just at your own parish, but now, on the internet.

If all those who read your blog and are affected decided one day to post or send emails, I'm sure you'd be blown away by the response.

Anonymous said...

I am also thankful for the nun and spiritual director that gave you advice not to leave the Seminary. The church needs men like you who are willing to demonstrate their love of Christ and their vocation through their ordinary life.

It may seem like a small thing, but reading your posts daily helps me be a better Catholic. So thank you for helping me in my spiritual life.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father: This is a superb post. I agree that once you GET the teachings on the Eucharist and the Real Presence, where else would you want to be?

When I left the church, at one point, even when I was a dissenter, I did not know what the Church taught regarding the Eucharist. Once I learned it and then once I accepted it as True, everything else fell into place for me.

Fr. V said...

Rob - I tried to find it but can't - it was a story in a post sometime back.

Thank you guys for your warm comments on these cold, Ohio days!

Anonymous said...

http://clevelandpriest.blogspot.com/2007/08/whats-love-gotta-to-do-gotta-to-do-with.html



Could this be it, Father?