Monday, May 21, 2007

TUESDAY QUOTE OF THE WEEK XIV

FINDING TRUTH WHEREVER IT MAY BE FOUND – “I was beginning to understand how easy it is to be a heretic. One had only to say something heretical, which was easy to do when one knew little about the Traditions of the Church and the teachings of the Magisterium.” Fr. Jay Longacre

QUOTE II – “Our world will not die as a result of the bomb, as the papers say, it will die of laughter, of banality, of making a joke of everything, and a lousy joke at that.” – Carlos Ruiz Zaton

IN OTHER NEWS:

Rob over at Back to Catholicism sent this list of questions along to see what books grace my bookshelves.



NAME THREE NONFICTION BOOKS THAT EVERYONE SHOULD READ:

1. “Fire Within” by Thomas Dubay, S.M. – Every time I get a little off spiritually I start reading this book again on the spirituality of St. Teresa and St. John of the Cross. My copy has twelve bookmarks and underlining or highlighting on almost every page.

2. “Violence Unveiled” by Gil Baily – This book will give you a whole different insight to the goings on in our times. Even if you do not buy the whole book it will make you think twice about the understanding why things are they way they are.

3. “The Problem of Pain” by C.S. Lewis – It is sad that people only really start taking this question seriously when they hit a hard patch in life. Unfortunately it is almost too late at that point because understanding it or at least accepting it has a lot to do with being in a relationship with Jesus Christ. This book will help.

NAME THREE BOOKS OF FICTION THAT EVERYONE SHOULD READ:

1. “Ivanhoe” by Sir Walter Scott – This was the first novel I read on my own. I picked it because my grandpa taught himself a lot of the English language by reading this book and I can see why he chose it. It snagged my interests in reading classical literature ever since.

2. “The Seville Communion” by Alturo Perez-Reverte – I read this book on the plane on my first visit to Rome. It was the perfect companion. It since made its way throughout the family reading circle and has been well appreciated by all.

3. Gads, it’s hard limiting it to just one more. I’ll change my mind a thousand times. There are so many fighting for this position! So perhaps I will wimp out and just give you a fun summer read that I loved and has also made its rounds of the family but will eventually fade off into book oblivion. It’s good for a laugh though I do not like their ideas on architecture. “Rococo” by Adriana Trigiani.

NAME THREE AUTHORS EVERYONE SHOULD READ:

1. You’ve just gotta read Shakespeare.

2. Pope Benedict is just awesome. He is readable, practical, and to the point.

3. Dickens, because I love his works, they’ll pull you in and get you excited about classical reading, and I haven’t seen him on anybody else’s list yet.

THREE BOOKS NOBODY SHOULD READ:

The problem with this list begins with its great length and the fact that if I hate the book, I stop reading it, banish it from my thoughts and then send it to my sisters with a note that reads, “This is a horrible book, don’t read it.” Interestingly enough there was a book on this list (and see, I can’t even remember the title) that was by the same author as one of my must read books. When I go home and see the pile of books marked “discard” (which we never, ever do) maybe I’ll post them. This should do for now.


Thanks Rob – Adoro, I’m still working on yours!


My sister's cat just had kittens. Here are some pictures:
















Here is a picture of a dandylion reflecting a red light that caught my eye on a bike ride the other night.


A blessed day to all!

3 comments:

Adoro said...

Aww...I ALMOST put Dickens on my post...a Tale of Two Cities.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

"It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done. It's a far, far better place I go than I have ever gone."

And Shakespeare! YES!

POLONIUS: Brevity of is the soul of wit; therefore I shall be brief. (right before he launches into the longest monologue in all of Shakespears' works...) LOL!

Adoro said...

Forgot to say....I LOVE the dandylion photo!

Anonymous said...

a plug for one of oyur books - C S Lewis' "The problem of pain" is one I buy multiples of and hand out on a fairly regular basis - a lot of people can benefit from these thoughts.